Saturday, March 25, 2017

My Words, My Heart

In a talk with a dear brother today, a thought dawned on me.  Think about the words we us –  not the words we necessarily plan to use but those that routinely pop up in our conversations or slip out in our confrontations.  What if those spontaneous words reveal the deep waters of our heart?  Jesus Christ says:
45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of his heart his mouth speaks (Luke 6:45, ESV).
Get that?  Whatever is in our heart finds its way out of our mouth.  So, what are the words that cover the landscape of your speech?  You might want to ask a friend or family member to join you in a word inventory.  Begin to take note of the words or phrases you repeat often.  They say something about your inner being.
A few years back, my wife caught herself finishing many of her sentences with the phrase “Does that make sense?”  We talked about it, and she concluded that perhaps she was operating from a base of insecurity, at least in her ability to communicate clearly.  Her words revealed an issue in her heart, an issue she translated into a desire to find security in God’s love and His promises.
Here are some words or phrases some of my friends repeat often, almost assuredly without any deliberation:
“I am afraid that …”
“I worry about …”
“I am so glad …”
“This is so exciting!”
What might their words tell us about their hearts?
“I am afraid that …”   à        They have a fearful heart.
“I worry about …”       à        They have an anxious heart.
“I am so glad …”         à        They have a thankful heart.
“This is so exciting!”   à        They have a joyful heart.
If the words that escape my lips flow from what fills my heart, what then do my words reveal about my heart?
Father, fill my heart with Your love so that my words overflow with praise and thanksgiving.  Fill my heart with confidence and assurance and faith so that my words are words of life inspiring my family and friends to hope and trust in You.  Fill my heart with truth and purpose so that my words are direct and honest.  As the psalmist sings:
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be acceptable in Your sight,
    O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer
(Psalm 19:14, ESV).



No comments: