Friday, April 4, 2008

WIll It Ever End?

Thursday evening I sat in my study and watched snow blanket my backyard for the umpteenth time this winter. Did I say winter? “For the love of Abner Doubleday,” I whimpered, “the Detroit Tigers are wrapping up their Spring Training and heading north to play their home opener in just two days! Will this winter ever end?!”

By Friday afternoon, the sun melted much of winter’s overnight deposit, and God used my impatience to teach me about hope. I thought of Robby and Teresa Green, who are about to be first-time parents. Her due date was last week, and several false alarms have surely taken their toll. In fact, Robby called Thursday night to say they were going to the hospital where her labor would be induced. Saturday afternoon, and they are still waiting. Their hope is nearer than ever before. I imagine, however, she has wondered a time or two recently, “Will this ever end?” Hope says, “The pain you experience now is minor compared to the joy you will soon embrace in your arms.”

Randy conducted the funeral service for his youngest sister Friday afternoon. Her family members, all devout people of faith, still mourn. They grieve, though, with hope – a hope that assures them they will see her again, and then forever. Randy reminded us all: “Life is short. Death is sure. Sin is the cause. Christ is the cure.” An unvoiced question, nevertheless, must burden their broken hearts: “When will it ever end – this waiting for reunion?”

More than a few of my dearest friends face stages of life now where pain and struggle are their constant companions. Some gasp for breath. Some grasp for moments of lucid thought. And some have willing spirits frustrated by bodies gradually shutting down. They surely wonder “When will this ever end?” But they rarely ask out loud. “Whiners never win; winners never whine.” My friends are winners who bravely press on informed, inspired, and empowered by hope. Yes, their suffering will indeed end, and then … glory!

Most times when I wonder “Will this ever end?” my concerns are a bit less substantial. Will winter ever end? Will my diet ever end? Will our church’s slumber and our nation’s cultural decline ever end? Will this economic recession ever end? Will wars and sickness and divorce and death ever end?

Last Sunday we celebrated Resurrection Day … fittingly, I now think, with snow on the ground. Snow melts. Winter breaks. Likewise, sin and suffering and death … die. How can we be sure? Because Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! So, hope reigns!

Now faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen (Hebrews 11:1, HCSB).

To the ends of the earth until the end of time!
Pastor Rob

No comments: