Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trusting Our Treasure

In the past few weeks I have lost over 40 percent of my retirement. Ouch! And the financial news today sounds terribly familiar – “second verse; same as the first; a little bit louder; a little bit worse.”

As I watch my annuity shrivel before my eyes, a chorus of concerns assail me. Thankfully, I still have some time to recoup these losses before retirement begins to be a reality on my horizon. Should I make a dramatic change in my portfolio or stay the course? Conventional wisdom convinces me to be patient and keep my confidence in the bigger picture.

Bigger picture? Is the bigger picture really only as far down the road as I can see? Do I really believe my retirement plans frame the bigger picture? When all is said and done here, isn’t the bigger picture actually far greater than the span of years I struggle for oxygen in these shadowlands? Indeed, Jesus Christ says:

Don't collect for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves don't break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:19-21).

Three questions leap from Jesus’ assertion to challenge me:

1. Do I trust my treasures to the good will of moths, rust, and thieves?

Understand: money and stuff do matter. I do not believe God intends for us to forsake the world and live in caves. Jesus calls His disciples to be “in the world, but not of the world” (John 17:15-19). I am convinced He created us with appetites and capacities for pleasure and enjoyment and fulfillment.

The stuff we cherish, that which we hold dear in this world – money, stuff, significance, relationships, etc. – are actually gifts from God. They are hints, suggestions, foretastes of the glorious gratification we will enjoy in Heaven. The chief reason He created us with these facilities is that we would ultimately find all our satisfaction in Him.

It is not wrong to enjoy things in this life. We must be careful, however, not to confuse the gifts with the Giver, to crave the streams more than the Source, to settle for temporary delight over eternal joy. Moreover, we must be careful not to trust these treasures to failed systems (“where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal”).

We have precious friends here in this church who treasure money and homes and family in the right way. For the most part, they have treasured these valuables by trusting them to God. In recent months, however, they have seen money disappear, houses and property devalued, and loved ones depart, die, or deeply disappoint them (another more painful form of death). I am so proud of how these dear brothers and sisters in Christ have responded to their pain and loss. Through terrible tears and trials that have trusted God with their hearts and all they hold dear. They grieve and carry on with life-giving hope, with steadfast confidence in our Father’s love and power and purpose.

2. How do I trust my treasures to Heaven’s Trustee?

I love the words of our Lord Jesus: “Don't be afraid, little flock, because your Father delights to give you the kingdom” (Luke 12:32). God says, “Don’t be afraid. Stop worrying. Stop fretting.” He invites us to rest safe and sound in these timeless truths:

He is our Shepherd. Our Good Shepherd feeds, leads, and protects us. He lays down His life for us (John 10:11)!
He is our Father. We are not merely His livestock. We are His children! What a love (1 John 3:1)!
He is the King – the kingdom is His to give. He has power and authority to do what He says He will do!
He gives us the kingdom. We do not have to earn it. He is generous and free with His provision and protection.
He delights to give us the kingdom. God thoroughly enjoys caring for us. He finds pleasure in this!

3. Where is my heart? What is the state of my heart, of my affections, of my satisfaction?

Hear Jesus again:

What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way He works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how He works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.

Be generous. Give to the poor. Get yourselves a bank that can't go bankrupt, a bank in heaven far from bankrobbers, safe from embezzlers, a bank you can bank on. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being” (Luke 12:29-34, The Message).

Friend, if we would have peace in the storms today, we must trust, invest, even dare to risk our eternal capital, in the One Who is Faithful and True. His city streets are paved with gold – that so treasured by earthlings is like common asphalt in heaven! Now, that’s the place I want most to be. In fact, that’s where Christ-followers already reign (Ephesians 2:4-10)!

“Hallelujah! Thine the glory! Hallelujah! Amen! Hallelujah! Thine the glory! Revive us again!”

No comments: