Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Last-minute Reminders

I have eagerly anticipated this weekend all year. The Fall Festival of Marriage at Ridgecrest – driving through the fall colors of the Smoky Mountains in autumn – worshiping our Lord Jesus Christ with hundreds of other couples at Ridgecrest – celebrating God’s grace and the gift of marriage – spending four days away with my bride and best friend – what’s not to love?

As eager as I have been for this retreat with Donna, a distinct melancholy crept in Thursday morning before we hit the road. Actually, it began to edge in Wednesday night. The most difficult aspect of any out-of-town trip is leaving home – not leaving the house, mind you, but leaving home, leaving our kids.

Our youngest are growing up … fast. In significant ways and beyond what their age typically suggests, they are responsible and reliable. They have demonstrated to their mother and me that they can be trusted. Still, even a grumpy old papa bear like me pauses when he hugs the cubs as they leave for school knowing he won’t be home when they return in the afternoon. Will they be okay? Will they be safe? Will the house still be standing when we return? I don’t mean to sound gloomy, but when Donna and I leave the family for short trips like this, I often wonder, “What if something happens to us? Will they know what to do? Will they remember what really matters?”

So, those last few moments before we head out are filled with longer hugs and last-minute instructions. Then, we write what we forgot to say on a note left behind.

Make sure to clean up. No television or computer games until the homework is done. Help each other. The meals are in the fridge. Be nice. Check on Papa – but don’t eat all his snacks. Have fun at Homecoming. Here’s the number to call if you need us. We will call to check on you. See you Sunday. Oh, don’t miss Sunday School and worship! Love, Mom and Dad

Deadlines and schedules and departure times have a way of clearing the fog of the day-to-day and reviving our focus on what matters most. When it’s time for “good-byes” and “see ya laters,” we want to make sure the important stuff is related one more time. We want the message to be clear and the transmission to be received intact. And we trust our expectations are as precious to those we leave behind as they are to us.

Hmmm. I wonder if Christ experienced any of these emotions or longings when He bid farewell to His disciples? Can our experiences give us any insight into our Lord’s instructions to us on that Galilean mountain: “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations … observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:19-20).

Before He departed, Jesus Christ wanted to make sure His followers understood His heart and knew what was really important. He says, in effect: “As you go from this moment, make your life count – make disciples – remember what I have told you and trained you to do and be. Above all, remember, I love you and I am with you.”

I wonder if Jesus would have liked to add anything or repeat anything in a note like those we leave for our kids? But wait! Isn’t that precisely what we have in the New Testament? In fact, I find a remarkable parallel between our notes to our kids and Father’s letter to His children. He writes (hint: compare the note below with the note to our kids):

Stay clean. Stay pure. Don’t get distracted from the joyful work of the Kingdom by too much worldly leisure. Keep first things first. Finish your assignment, and finish well. Help one another. Encourage one another. I have meals prepared for you in My Word. Be kind to one another. Care for the people around you. Look out for one another. Find joy in this life’s foretastes of your glorious Homecoming. Remember, you can call on Me anytime. I am watching over you, protecting you, providing for you. I am coming back. I will see you soon. Until then, seize every opportunity to love your neighbors, love one another, and love Me! Love, Abba

I must be yours for I am His!

Pastor Rob

No comments: