Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Three Random, Related Words

God has called me this week to be more still and to be still more often. When I have complied with the Spirit’s invitation, He has ministered to my spirit in a surprising way. Father has been showing me that I am not the next Charles Spurgeon, or even the next Adrian Rogers – great men and great pastors in my book. Moreover, according to our sweet Lord, I am not even comparable to contemporary leaders I respect like John Piper or Andy Stanley, or friends I admire like Rich Ratts, Larry Allen, or Roy Southerland. And while I have benefited tremendously from the input of mentors in my life like Herb Hodges, Ron Coppock, and Jeff Pound, I am not shaped to be carbon copies of them or their ministries.

God is reminding me that He has designed me to be someone even better than my short-sighted perceptions of my heroes. He has created me to be another unique contribution to His chorus of Image-bearers – namely, me, just me, only me, but especially me. I am the only me there ever has been and ever will be. Father has extended to me the opportunity to be me in such a way that I bring glory to His name as only I can do. Spurgeon, Piper, Ratts, and Hodges can never be me! I am exclusively, exceptionally fashioned by our Creator-King to bring an honor and a glory to Him that even my heroes cannot.

So, God has stirred me to consider just how He has shaped me. What are the skills, passions, and aptitudes He has crafted into me that define me and my potential to manifest the truth about Him to the world? Some folk who have known me for some time tell me that I am eager, energetic, and enthusiastic. I gravitate toward passion and ambition. Lately, however, I have felt sluggish and lethargic. I wonder if perhaps I have been too busy trying to be somebody God never created me to be or trying to pastor an idea of a church He never called me to pastor. [Selah – Stop and think about that.]


Last week I published in this space some remarks passed to me from Mark about a busy church he visited recently. Mark’s candor and insight struck me, especially his summary thoughts about looking for a church. From the first time I read Mark’s note, I have been using a profound word picture he shared to help me assess and reign in my efforts as a minister and as a man. He described the church this way: “They tried really hard to get 10 pounds in a 5-pound bag.”

Again, I ask, “How has God shaped me?” And in light of Mark’s comment, I am moved to wonder, am I trying really hard to get 10 pounds into a 5-pound bag? Am I even putting the sort of things into my bag that belong there? Groceries have their own bag and gym clothes another. But we don’t generally carry groceries in a duffle bag! [Selah – Stop and think about that.]


God’s Word exhorts: "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" (Galatians 6:9). In the midst of my stillness, I received some encouragement from H.B. London, Jr., the Vice President of Pastoral Ministries at Focus on the Family. He related the following “Simple Solutions To Overcome Weariness,” which I hope help you as well.

1. Remember your church is God's church.

2. Don't put so much emphasis on the immediate — it's the long run that counts.

3. If you're tired, take some time off. You only complicate things when you burn the candle at both ends.

4. Please do not take yourself so seriously. Mellow out and just relax.

5. Identify your stress point. It might be something totally unrelated to your church life.

6. Determine not to live in isolation. Call a colleague.

7. Examine your "true" relationship with your Lord. Is it mechanical or relational?

8. Laugh! When was the last time you just had fun?

9. It is not just about you. It is about an audience of One — and you know who that is — and it is not someone giving you a hard time!

10. Prioritize — "Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" (Hebrews 12:1).

To the ends of the earth until the end of time!

Pastor Rob

No comments: