Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pastor Rob Encounters God

I received a call the other night from a family in need. The hour was already late, and I was nearly finished running the Freshour Family Evening Shuttle for my children’s various practices and games. I was within 30 minutes of closing the world out for the rest of the day, when I would sit back with TV remote in hand and my feet propped up, all set to switch channels from NBA playoffs to NHL playoffs and even to the Tigers just playing awful. After all, as I tend to reason at that time of the day, I had already put in my 10-12 hours. Besides, I could better serve this family with a fresh day when I could focus my attention better on their need … right?

Still, I took the call (as I usually do) and began to pray for God to give me ears to hear and eyes to see (as I have learned I must always do) as the dear lady on the other end of the line began to pour out her heart. Though not members of our church, nor even occasional attenders in our services, apparently their casual connection with me through a couple of weddings made me the closest thing to a family pastor they knew. Right now, they needed a pastor to help them find God’s comfort in the midst of heartache, impending death, and grief.

The dear woman laid out her family’s need. Their daddy was dying. I listened, prayed, and then promised to come by the next day to visit with her and her family. Then I prayed with her on the phone and pledged again to contact her the next day. It was the best I could do. After all, the evening was fading into night, I was still on the last two legs of the family shuttle, and I was tired.

I hung up my cell phone, dropped my son off at the house, and began to pull back out of the driveway to retrieve my daughter. As I drove, I sang along with one of my praise CDs and mulled over my memory verses from Experiencing God. I had not left our subdivision before a still, small voice began hammering my heart, and an encounter with God ensued.

Rob, haven’t you been praying that God would reveal Himself, His purposes, and His ways to you in fresh new ways that were clear and certain?

Yes, Lord. I want to recognize You at work around me, like You say You do. I want my dull senses to be rejuvenated and tuned in to Your activity so that I can be a part of what You are doing.

Rob, when you see something going on that only God can do, isn’t that your invitation to join Him?

Well, yes Lord. … What are You getting at, Lord?

Rob, what are the first things you think of that only God can do?

Only God can draw people to Himself and cause people to seek Him. The Bible says that no one comes to Jesus Christ unless the Father draws them (John 6:44). Also, no one is good or righteous on their own. No one seeks after God of their own initiative (Romans 3:10ff).

Rob, didn’t you just get off the phone with a lady who, along with her siblings and their respective families, was looking for God? Does that not sound like something only God can do? Have you not learned and professed to teach your own children that delayed obedience is disobedience?

Excuse me, Lord. I have a phone call to make, … and an appointment to keep.

An hour later, after getting all my kids home, I was on the road again. This time I was praying for God to give me His Word for this family gathered around their dying daddy. The Spirit of Truth reminded me what He inspired the beloved disciple to write in the Good News according to John 14:1-3, Jesus says:

Your heart must not be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if not, I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also (HCSB).

The Lord directed me to share three simple truths with this dying man and his family. (He has since revealed five anchors for our faith to me from this text, but they will wait until another day). Here’s three truths we can use to share Jesus:

  1. Heaven is a place – a real place. Jesus says He is going to a place, not a state of mind. Heaven is not some existence where our disembodied spirits ride clouds and play harps. Heaven is the meal for which this earthly life has been only an aroma, the hint, the foretaste. Heaven is real and immensely substantive. Heaven is where God lives, and where God lives is where we truly come to life.
  2. Heaven is a prepared place. Jesus says He is preparing a place for us. The places He is preparing are perfectly suited for people to become all that God originally purposed for us to be. Imagine becoming again like Adam before the Fall – real flesh and blood, without sin or encumbrance, free to know God and walk with God and talk with God. Heaven is a place prepared and suited perfectly for that purpose.
  3. Heaven is a prepared place for prepared people. Though God does not want anyone perish, He requires that any who would enter heaven be prepared by repentance and faith in His one and only Son, Jesus (1 Peter 3:9; John 3:16).

I asked my dying friend and his family, “Are you prepared?” I ask you today, “Are you prepared?”

How does a person prepare? The only way to prepare for Heaven is to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of your life (John 14:6). Receiving Jesus is as easy as ABC:


A – Admit to God you are a sinner (Romans 3:23).
B – Believe that Jesus is Who He says He is (Romans 10:9-10).
C – Commit your life to know Jesus and to make Him known (James 2:26).

Friend, Heaven is indeed a place, a prepared place for prepared people. I have heard it said that we are prepared to live until we are prepared to die. Are you prepared?


Pastor Rob

No comments: